SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS DICTATE THAT SOME VEHICLES CANNOT BE PERMITTED ON THE AUTO ROAD.
- Jaguar, Saturn and Sterling autos with automatic transmissions must show a “1” or “L” or “S” on the shifter to be allowed on the Auto Road. Transmissions showing an “S” must demonstrate that this shifter will allow the transmission to be locked into 1st gear.
- Model year 2009 and earlier Honda and Acura vehicles must meet the same requirements as described above.
- Model year 2010 and later Honda and Acura vehicles are all allowed regardless of transmission type.
- Some former police cars and taxis have the 1st gear locked out and cannot be allowed on the road.
- No Hummers, except H-2 & H-3.
- No trailers, RV’s, campers or vans converted to RV’s.
- No mopeds or scooters.
- No dual wheeled vehicles.
- No ATVs or UTVs, except on NH ATV Day.
- No bicycles.
VEHICLE SIZE RESTRICTIONS
The size restrictions below are strict limits. The Toll House attendants at the base of the Road will measure any vehicles that they suspect may exceed the restrictions.
- Maximum wheelbase on any vehicle: 176 inches (447 cm) (This excludes many limousines).
- Maximum width on any vehicle: 88 inches (223 cm) including mirrors (mirrors may be folded in to achieve this width).
- No pickups with permanent additions that extend wider than the cab (campers, rack bodies, or very wide mirrors).
The weight limits below are referring to passenger and luggage weight, not the weight of your vehicle. These are approximate numbers used as guidelines.
- Full size car or wagon: 900lbs
- Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager prior to 1996: 600lbs (272 kg)
- Dodge Caravan, Plymouth Voyager 1996 and newer: 900lbs (408 kg)
- All other mini-vans: 900lbs (408 kg)
- 3/4 or 1/2 ton van, pickup or SUV: 900lbs (408 kg)
- One-ton van or pickup: 1050lbs (476 kg)
If you have any questions about Vehicle Restrictions at the Auto Road, please call us at (603) 466-3988.